Before we get into the notes I just wanted to make a point of clarification as I would like to avoid miscommunication and information being taken out of context.
The notes below are my interpretation of what I hear at the meetings for the time I am present and they include matters which I think the public will want to be aware of.
These notes are not fully inclusive of all items on the agenda and are not verbatim notes. If you have questions or want clarification about anything I have noted I would definitely recommend reading the official agenda first provided below as well as reading the official meeting minutes when they are available.
My intent for these posts is to keep the community informed regarding what is happening in town as I know it can be difficult to attend meetings and read through all of the agenda’s and minutes.
June 28th, 2022
1) Amy Steele – Grand Valley Small Business Group – I gave information about the Grand Valley Small Business Group Mission, Membership and initiatives.
2) Murray Short, RLB LLP – 2021 Audit – Draft 2021 Financial Statements- Page 23 & beyond on the Agenda
-Royal Bank Closure-Letter sent to financial institutions to see about them opening up or other suggestions for banking option in our community. The Mayor will be meeting with a representative from RBC to see what options are available.
-Dr. Mallin Retirement gift discussed.
- Application Z05-2022, for a Zoning By-law Amendment for Sea Containers. Town of Grand Valley initiated amendment for all properties within the Town of Grand Valley. The purpose and effect of this application is a proposed housekeeping Zoning By-law amendment to permit sea containers in the rural area of the Town of Grand Valley-Notice of Complete Application and Statutory Public Meeting-Public Meeting Report. Council discussed and gave some feedback to town staff to make adjustments.**note-Sea Containers are not permitted in the urban area (Grand Valley itself) or in any of the settlement areas, ie. Colbeck, Monticello, or Mount Haven.
- Application Z06-2022, for a Zoning By-law Amendment. Submitted by Ms. Tavia Perrault, for property located at 34 Cooper Street (Roll #342800).The purpose and effect of this application is to obtain a Zoning By-law Amendment to permit a Home Occupation in an Accessory Building- Notice of Complete Application and Statutory Public Meeting-Public Meeting and Recommendation Report. Ms. Perrault would like permission to operate a small canine training facility. Council received and approved.
- Application Z07-2022, for a Zoning By-law Amendment. Submitted by Mr. Jessamy Castillo & Ms. Laura Marshall, for property located at 28 Mill Street West (Roll #333800). The purpose and effect of this application is to permit an expansion to a Legal Non-conforming residential use to permit an accessory building – garage-Notice of Complete Application and Statutory Public Meeting-Public Meeting and Recommendation Report. Council received and approved.
-Town of Grand Valley Accounts Receivable- Discussed and passed
-Town of Grand Valley Accounts Payable-Discussed and Passed
-Community Centre Accounts Payable- Discussed and Passed
-By-law Enforcement Monthly Report- 6 calls from residents for parking infractions. Working on 2 property standards complaints. Residents asking about poultry in town, noise complaints, dogs running at large. Bylaw officer has put in his resignation.
-Monthly Procurement Update- Received
-CAO Update – verbal update
-Report – Fire Tariff of Fees By-law Update – deskside
CAO Verbal Updates
-Modernization Project- Server installed in July and forms being worked on by town staff.
-Community Centre Project- Construction is underway, upon completing excavation it was discovered that the ice surface needs to be moved a few inches to the south. The initial estimates on that change would be $200,000++. This will affect the budget and cut into the funds available for the change-rooms and accessibility. Council directed staff to speak to project engineers to present and explain the issue and options.
-Canine Control- Olympus is changing branding as the children of the current owners are taking over and rebranding.
-Emma Street Sanitary project-A water line was hit and the towns waters usage went quite high. The water line was leaking. The line was from the old sewage plant and it was supposed to be abandoned. Staff will keep council updated on the costs that were involved with this issue once they consult with the construction company.
-Cyber Security Emergency Exercise- had to be rescheduled, staff will keep council posted
-Asset Management- Will be presented at the next meeting.
-Thomasfield sign on Melody Lane. Council voted to direct staff to reach out to Thomasfield to have the advertisement sign above the stone Grand Valley entrance sign. Lights on the stone Grand Valley sign need to be adjusted/tested.
End of my notes as I had to leave the meeting at this point.
Disclaimer- These are my personal notes from the meeting. The purpose of these notes is to give an update on what is happening around the Town of Grand Valley. If you would like to view the official agenda and minutes you can find that here.